Taxes often have a considerable impact on the profitability of businesses and investments. It is therefore crucial to have a clear and comprehensive overview of the tax consequences associated with any proposed transaction. It is a fact of life that tax rules are necessarily complex. They are also subject to continuous change – driven by budgetary constraints, for example. This means that taxpayers face increased fiscal uncertainty and may end up facing complex discussions with the tax authorities.
Your contacts in Tax
The Eubelius Tax team assists clients on a daily basis in assessing tax opportunities and risks and equipping them to make well-informed decisions. Our support also includes assisting clients in obtaining advance tax rulings.
The team maintains a dual focus: providing upfront tax advice, and also defending and assisting clients in discussions with the tax authorities during tax audits or in the courtroom.
Some of our references:
- Assistance to the sector association of REITs in connection with the reform of the regulatory and tax framework for regulated real estate companies, including the preparation of legislative proposals
- Tax structuring advice to a real estate developer in relation to the creation of a new real estate investment fund. In cooperation with the acting investment bank, Eubelius advised on the tax aspects of the incorporation of the fund itself, as well as on the tax and VAT aspects of the acquisition of real estate by the fund
- Tax advice to a REIT in relation to the acquisition of a company owning a residential care centre
- Tax advice to a REIT in relation to VAT-efficient acquisition of real estate
- Tax advice regarding the incorporation of a double cross-border fund structure to make investments in Belgian real estate. Our work included advice on the tax status of the Belgian fund as well as advice on the taxation of investments in the Luxembourg funds by Belgian high-net-worth individuals and institutional investors
- Tax advice to the management of an REIT in relation to the divestment of its logistics real estate portfolio. Our work included advice on the structuring of the deal, and advice on the VAT aspects related to the divestment
- Tax advice to a representative organisation for healthcare institutions in relation to the application of the VAT exemption for hospitals
- Tax assistance to the managing body of an airport with regard to the development and implementation of a joint venture for real estate development on the airport premises, including assistance in relation to the filing of a ruling request
- Assistance and representation of clients during dawn raids and house searches by the special tax inspectorate
- Negotiation of out-of-court settlements in tax disputes, including combined tax, criminal and social settlements
- Representation of clients before all (administrative and judicial) courts, including the Court of Cassation, the Constitutional Court, the Court of Justice of the European Union and the European Court of Human Rights